Wednesday 15 June 2011

Current Cameras. Theory. Medium.

Cameras-
Since arriving in glasgow almost three years ago i have been notoriously unlucky with my equipment. Being the victim of two burglaries, a number of thefts and lost luggage has made me more open to using a range of equipment. These are mostly lower quality and are limited in what they can achieve but they give me scope for other textures and effects in video work. The imagery is of differing size and quality which enhances the contrasts in my imagery giving a sharp and defined transition of the images. The qualitative element is very different in all the cameras and strongly reflects me and my thought process.

The cameras i am currently using are a Fujifilm finepix S2800 HD Digital Camera, a Vivitar dvr510n with underwater case, a Samsung Hand held Camcorder, an Olympus 850sw waterproofed (this however is my parents so i have limited access) and numerous film cameras including, underwater disposables, Canon Z135 and Olympus OM-1.


Theory –
My theory base is very rooted within post modernism which I have found to be a more open medium allowing an eclectic mix of fields. “In practical terms it means that art could be made of anything, include any imagery and address anything” http://rhoadley.org/presentations/InstallationArt-s.pdf
The primary function of post modernism is that it starts from the persons reality and apparent realities. It acknowledges that Art is defined “by social constraints and is subject to change inherent in space and time”. I appreciate this open and enlightening perspective. My work is also heavily influenced by Kitsch art which brings to me a nostalgic element that strongly reflects my personal heritage.

Medium -
My work and thought process is more comfortable with post modernist perspective and presently I have found installation art (being mixed media, multidimensional created for a specific space in mind),  accommodates this most satisfactorily
Installation art is about a specific space and making it a place by understanding what the space represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment